Sweet potatoes aka “fan shu”

I was "googling" for some healthy foods in internet. * yea..kind of afraid that I might suffer from malnutrition ><

Finally, I came across with this "sweet potato a healthy snack".

Feeling thrilled, I went on further to get to know about its health benefits and this is what I have found.

  1. Sweet potato is rich in Vitamin A (betacarotene) and Vitamin C. Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells.
  2. Sweet potato is good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of the colon.
  3. It is beneficial for low blood pressure.
  4. May be helpful for hemorrhoid because of its high fiber content. (which I love the most) *please do not misunderstand, I don't have hemorrhoid. BUT I know it's going to be IF I don't have sufficient FIBER
  5. Sweet potato is a good food for people involved in heavy muscular work, since this food is high in vitamins and minerals.
  6. Sweet potato may help prevent cancer in glands and organs with epithelial tissue due to its high Vitamin A content.
  7. Sweet potato is a good food for diabetics, because it helped stabilize blood sugar levels.

Later on, I try to learn how to cook them with the "appliance" that I have. * the one and only->electrical rice cooker from ALBA XDXD

From what I have found, we can boil, steam, bake, roast, fry or heat in microwave. Since I have a rice cooker, I think my choices are just limited to boil or steam it. * just couldn't risk to roast or fry with my rice cooker. ><

One thing very funny is, I do not know how to differentiate between potato and sweet potato. *lolz…

Before I came with the word "potato", I thought both of them were the same. Which is, DEFINITELY NOT. Fortunately, I discuss it with my fellow friends and all my doubts are cleared. Now, I even know what they called in Chinese. Sweet potato is called "fan shu" which "boleh dimakan begitu saja, of course after you have cooked it. ", while potato is called "ho lan shu" "commonly eaten as mashed potatoes or in dishes such as curry and soups". *just in case I forget their names in future.

Since I have found my new fiber source, I have to choose between apples and sweet potatoes. *can't take both because it's going to be over budget ><

Reason is, apples are way more expensive than sweet potatoes and their fiber content is much lower compared to sweet potatoes and not to mention they have higher shelf life than apples. I believe, whatever benefits provided by apples also can be found from sweet potatoes as well.

I have bought 24 pieces of Japanese sweet potatoes * the skin is purple in color but not sure about the content though and will be officially eating them by tomorrow, right after I have finished my apples and soon-going-to-be-finished cabbage. * please don't feel surprise they are just medium size and they are for 1 week supplies. You wouldn't want to go Tesco for every few days per week, right. XD

* Japanese sweet potatoes. Judging from the picture, i guess the content is white in color.

Comments

  1. LOL! I was startled when I saw "24 sweet potatoes!" O.O Then, I tot it will be a month supply but a WEEK! Lagi shock! O.O! Wow! So you are going to eat 3 to 4 sweet potatoes a day?! I think you can have that for your lunch or dinner edi! Haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA. those are like my fruits jor, yea, i will eat 'em after lunch and dinner.I think im too kia xi not enuf fiber gua ><..c 1st lor..ppl first time sendiri buy leh..so, estimation mungkin lari a bit. =P hahahaha...i think shud be no prob..GUA. LOLZ XDXD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebonding and contact lens

T_T

Feel Lost?---Don't give up untill the last minute